What is a Building Survey?
The RICS Building Survey gives you a comprehensive structural report tailored to suit your property, highlighting defects, repairs and maintenance options. This type of survey is essential for larger or older properties, or if you’re planning major works.
In essence, a RICS Building Survey:
- Aims to establish how the property is built, what materials are used and how these will perform in the future
- Aims to describe visible defects, plus exposing potential problems posed by hidden defects
- Aims to outline the repair options and give you a repair timeline, while explaining the consequences of not acting
- Provides specific comments on energy efficiency
- Describes the construction and condition of the property on the date of the inspection
- Aims to identify any problems that need urgent attention or are serious
- Aims to identify things that need to be investigated to prevent further damage
- Aims to tell you about problems that may be dangerous
- Aims to show up potential issues and defects, before any transaction takes place
- Aims to help you decide whether you need extra advice before committing to your purchase
- Allows you to budget for any repairs or restoration
- Provides advice on the amount of ongoing maintenance required in the future
Get advice from an industry expert Luke McAndrew, BSc, MRICS
Luke undertakes, Building Surveys, HomeBuyer Reports, Party Wall matters, construction monitoring, project management, architectural design,schedules of condition & dilapidation.