Get the most out of your property income. Read on to discover what expenses you can claim for your rental property.

what can you claim on a rental property


  • Motor and travel expenses

If you are using a vehicle in order to help manage your property, or travel in order to fulfil tenant duties, then you are eligible for claiming for petrol and travel costs.

You will be able to claim 45p per mile for the first 10,000 miles a year and 25p per mile if you have travelled over 25,000 miles a year.

  • Office/work from home expenses

You can claim a flat-rate of £4 if you’re working from home for at least 25 hours per week.

  • Legal expenses

Legal and professional fees are also tax-deductible. This doesn’t include solicitors, surveyors or estate agency fees.

Key tip: your property tax accountant becomes a tax-deductible expense – ensure you don’t miss out.

  • Furnishings expenses 

You can now claim tax relief when an item in your rented property needs to be replaced. This includes items such as beds, curtains and sofas.

  • Council tax and utility bills

You know that gap between when your tenant moves out and when you get a new one…sadly, you’ll still have to pay the council tax and utility bills. The good news is you can claim these back too.

  • Ground rent maintenance expenses

Your ground rent and maintenance costs could add up considerably. Fortunately, you can claim for these.

  • Landlord insurance expenses

Specialist landlord insurance gives you the extra peace of mind you need and, best of all, you can claim for it, so do give landlord insurance a look.


Landlords, find out the rental value of your home with a free rental valuation or find out more about our Landlord Services.

* adequate tenant insurance must still be taken out before moving into any Romans rental property